Friday, May 16, 2014

The Schedule

    This past week I have been going all out to finish the CS50x course, and I finished it. Now, when I say I finished it I mean that I have gone through all of the lessons and watched all the videos, and I have read any course material that I needed to read. There are problem sets that go with each week that I decided not to do, but I may go back later and attempt to do. Just for now I don't intend to do them mostly because I am not quite confident in myself yet, and I want to be confident before I go into them.

So now that I am done with CS50x I have started taking a few other courses, and by a few I mean four. Three out of the four are from very nice sources, but the fourth I decided should be a class that I wouldn't mind stopping or missing if time does not allow for it, so it is a course that I found from a reputable source on YouTube. My classes are MIT 6.00SC, Stanford CS106A, Udacity CS101, and Ethical Hacking from Eli the Computer Guy. If you took a look at the links then you will realize that the classes from Udacity, MIT, and Stanford are all introductory Computer Science courses and CS50x was also an introductory course. But why? Well, the simple answer is because that is the way I learn. For me the best way to learn is to hear the same things over and over, but maybe said differently. So far I am loving all of the courses and the professors most certainly have their strong points in different areas, it is amazing to see the professors different approaches to the topic. The approaches are similar, but at the same time they are completely different. Now why 'Ethical Hacking', to put it simply, it is a filler class. The only reason I am taking it is for days that I don't feel like I have the focus to take the other courses, but I still want to learn something.

Scheduling classes is unbelievably difficult, and was probably my biggest challenge this past week. I am using Google calender as my way of setting up my schedule, and it does a great job so far. The problem I had was setting up a set plan of what times and what days I would be taking my different courses, because I know that if I don't set up a schedule that I will inevitably fall off track. There was also the problem of knowing what days are good and what days are bad and also taking into account the extra time I will need for studying, reviewing, and doing the 'homework' for each course. So right now I have it set up for doing two classes, including the reviewing and doing homework, for Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Then I have the other two classes set up for Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. The reasoning behind this was a direct result from the way my college sets up their classes, all of their classes happen on either Monday, Wednesday, Friday or on Tuesday-Thursday. The reason my other two classes extend to Saturday as well was just so I could make sure that I set an even amount of time aside for them all. Hopefully this way of setting up my schedule works out, we will see.

As for how I intend to go through these four courses. If anything, I hope to finish them before my summer ends which is officially in August. That is a long ways away, but I don't want to cram these courses. They are a crucial part of empowering me to advance my education and I want to make sure I fully understand anything they cover before I move on. I also do not want to stretch them out to take a very long time though. I am hoping to be able to take another set of courses as well this summer, before it ends.

Welp, thank you for reading.
Bye. =]
        - Shane

No comments:

Post a Comment